Private Bag X2
The Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism provides national leadership for promoting sustainable coastal development. This is primarily achieved through Coastcare, a partnership involving the private and public sectors.
The policy guiding this joint initiative is presented in the White Paper for Sustainable Coastal Development in South Africa.
Coastcare aims for:
- Coastal economic development that makes the best use of available resources;
- Coastal development that promotes social equity through improved livelihoods of poor coastal communities; and
- A healthy coastal environment for the benefit of current and future generations.
Coastcare provides financial and technical assistance for:
- Coastal development projects;
- Institutional capacity building of coastal management organisations;
- Legal development to support policy;
- Awareness education and training initiatives;
- Coastal resource planning;
- Applied research; and
- Coastal information management projects.